I was getting within spitting distance of the monthly achievement for September, only to discover that ArenaNet thinks October starts a few hours earlier than the calendar indicates. I just needed to rack up some WvW invader kills to complete the month and get the reward, but after a short break for dinner I came back to find that I’d missed the opportunity. I had foolishly assumed that the end of the month would be at midnight Pacific time, not Greenwich time. Lesson learned: I’m not going to wait until the last day to get the October achievement (once we find out what the “???” achievement might be).
The other night, a party from my guild was having trouble finishing a dungeon — not so much because of the difficulty of the task, but because real world issues kept pulling players away from the game. One of the remaining players called for reinforcements from the guild and it was suggested that I should go help (as one of the guild leaders, that’s certainly in my job description). Unfortunately, even though my main character is up to level 77, I hadn’t visited the zone (Mount Maelstrom) yet. The disgusted comment from the guild member was “Where have you been levelling? Under a rock?” Perhaps so: I’m one of those folks afflicted with a strong urge to complete an area once I’ve started, so I’ve not actually visited Orr yet (and the last chapter I tried in my personal story went sideways very quickly, so I haven’t advanced past that point either).
Actually, I think this illustrates one of the greatest strengths of Guild Wars 2: there are so many different ways to play (and level your character) that it’s possible to have a completely different gaming experience than another player — not even counting the personal story — and still have a great time playing.
Some of the more recent links in this week’s round-up are concerning Legendary weapons. They’re starting to appear “in the wild” and we can expect to see more and more of them as players accumulate all the required components to create them. I’m not expecting to be in that race for quite some time: it requires use of the Mystic Forge and my luck with the Forge has been anything but good. For example, last night, I got two things from the forge: pistols. My primary character is a ranger, so pistols are just trading post fodder for me. Except one of the pistols was soulbound on acquiring it: I couldn’t even salvage it for parts.
- Official Guild Wars 2 news
- Recent GuildMag posts
- Fan articles and blog posts
- Videos and podcasts
- Community events
- Guild Wars 2 wiki — Game status updates. “This is the current status of the most important issues we’re tracking with Guild Wars 2 live service. (This page is updated by ArenaNet staff and protected against non-admin editing.)” [Raphia: This page on the wiki should be one you bookmark for reference (I’ll continue to list it every week).]
- GuildWars2.com — Concept Artist Spotlight: Theo Prins. “Concept Artist Theo Prins has worked all over the world, but has now settled at ArenaNet here in Bellevue, WA. I sat down with one of the newest members of the concept art team to discuss his unique approach to his work.”
- On the official Guild Wars 2 forums, Jon Peters posted on the topic Night Capping and YOU: “I wanted to post a bit on here because I was playing last night at a time where our numbers were dwindling and the influx of enemy players from another region pushed our server back to basically its last tower/supply camp. I spent a good portion of my time split between a few different things.”
- GuildWars2.com — Update Notes – October 1st 2012.
- GuildWars2.com — Coming Soon: Guild Wars 2 Halloween Diorama Contest! “Halloween is coming! It’s our favorite time of year, so in addition to the in-game madness that we can’t tell you about quite yet, we’re celebrating Halloween with a special arts and craft contest that we like to call the Guild Wars 2 Halloween Diorama Contest.”
- On the official Guild Wars 2 Facebook page: “We want to take a moment to warn our Guild Wars 2 community about a Guild Wars 2 impersonation Facebook page.”
- In case you missed it last week, ArenaNet has uploaded the TAD Talk: Combat Master Class video with Jonathan Sharp to their YouTube channel.
- On the official Guild Wars 2 forums, Jon Peters posted on the topic Let’s Start the Karma DR Dialogue: “These systems are put in place to protect the economy from botters and exploiters. We will close exploits as quickly as we can. These thresholds help create a safety net to keep the economy safe when we aren’t there to deal with the offender. It’s important to have a safety net in place. It would be bad for everyone if, for example, a group of players learned how to speed-clear a dungeon in 5 minutes, with full rewards each time, and then repeated that continuously. When one activity emerges that’s order of magnitudes more profitable than anything else in the game, it forces everyone to either engage in that activity or get priced out of the economy.”
- YouTube — arenanetofficial: ArenaNet Pre-Launch Extravaganza, with John Ryan. “As we counted down the hours to headstart on August 24th, 2012, some of the ArenaNet team took time out for livestreaming in the Pre-Launch Extravaganza. In this event, writer John Ryan plays some Guild Wars 2 under the direction of you, the viewers”
- GuildWars2.com — Colin Johanson Outlines Guild Wars 2 Live Game Development. “As we’ve always said, Guild Wars 2 is a living, breathing, dynamic world. ArenaNet’s commitment to this has been a crucial part of the game’s development since day one, and it’s an important part of who we are and what Guild Wars 2 represents. Today I want to talk about our philosophy and plans for developing the live game.”
- GuildWars2.com — World Rankings as of 9/28 (New Format). “We’re trying out a new format for the world rankings that includes more data about how the rankings and ratings changed as a result of the last matchup. Deviation and Volatility are used by the Glicko 2 rating system (http://www.glicko.net/glicko.html). They’re not absolutely necessary for understanding the ratings but I know there are some folks out there who will like to have them.”
- GuildWars2.com — “My Legend Grows!