ArenaNet just released their second entry in a preview look at the upcoming PAX East demo. This time they talk about crafting and gathering in Guild Wars 2. He starts with detailing all the eight crafting disciplines players can choose from, ranging from weaponsmith to cook.
- Weaponsmith – Weaponsmiths craft melee weapons, such as swords, axes and hammers.
- Huntsman – Huntsmen craft ranged weapons like bows and pistol, as well as torches and warhorns.
- Artificer– Artificers craft magical weapons such as staves and scepters
- Armorsmith – Armorsmiths craft heavy armor pieces.
- Leatherworker – Leatherworkers craft medium armor pieces.
- Tailor – Tailors craft light armor pieces.
- Jewelcrafter – Jewelcrafters craft jewelry, such as rings and necklaces.
- Cook – Cooks can prepare food which characters can eat for temporary combat buffs.
After this, he talks us through the three methods for gathering, namely: Salvage kits, Looting and Harvesting.
- Salvaging kits— Available from merchants, salvaging kits allow you to salvage crafting materials out of old or unwanted items.
- Looting—You have a chance of finding appropriate crafting materials like hides or trophies when you loot slain enemies.
- Harvesting—Ore veins, plants, and trees can be found around the world and harvested for materials.
At the end of his post he goes more into detail as to how crafting in Guild Wars 2 will find place. He talks about crafting stations, which can be found in cities and major outposts around the world, but also states that they went with a discovery system for recipes.